NEW DELHI: The United Arab Emirates on Monday strongly condemned and warned Iran after a drone strike at the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra region, warning that it “will not tolerate any threat to its security and sovereignty under any circumstances.“The incident comes amid renewed tensions linked to ongoing Iran conflict, with Saudi Arabia also reporting that it intercepted three drones that entered its airspace from Iraq, while US President Donald Trump warned that Tehran must act “fast”.
UAE condemns attack on nuclear facility
In a statement, the UAE ministry of foreign affairs (MoFA) said the country “condemned in the strongest terms” the drone attack, which entered UAE territory “from the western border direction.” UAE said it “will not tolerate any threat to its security and sovereignty under any circumstances and reserved its full, sovereign, legitimate, diplomatic, and military rights” to respond to any threat or hostile act in accordance with international law.The ministry described the attack as a “dangerous escalation”, an “unacceptable act of aggression” and a direct threat to the country’s security.“The ministry stressed that the targeting of peaceful nuclear energy facilities is a flagrant violation of international law, the UN charter, and the principles of humanitarian law, given the grave risks such acts pose to civilians, the environment, as well as regional and international security,” the statement read.It further noted that international agreements and International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) resolutions underline the need to protect peaceful nuclear facilities from military threats or hostile acts.“The ministry further underscored that targeting vital and civilian infrastructure is unequivocally condemned and rejected under all legal and humanitarian norms, underscoring the need to immediately halt these unprovoked attacks and ensure full compliance with the cessation of all hostilities,” the statement added.The statement came after a drone strike triggered a fire at an electricity generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the UAE. The Abu Dhabi Media Office said there was no release of radioactive material and radiation safety levels remained unaffected.The UAE’s Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation later confirmed the plant remained safe. The International Atomic Energy Agency also said emergency diesel generators were supplying power to the plant’s Unit 3 and called for “maximum military restraint” around nuclear facilities, Reuters reported.
Saudi Arabia intercepts drones
Saudi Arabia separately announced that it intercepted three drones that had entered its airspace from Iraq. Saudi authorities warned they would take “necessary operational measures” against any attempt to violate the kingdom’s sovereignty and security.Regional tensions have remained high despite a ceasefire that came into effect in April following the US-Israel conflict with Iran. Since then, several drones launched from Iraq have reportedly targeted Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.The latest developments come amid continued disruption around the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important shipping routes for oil and gas. Oil prices surged sharply during the conflict as shipping through the Strait of Hormuz was disrupted, worsening global energy concerns.
Trump warns Iran to act ‘fast’
Earlier , Donald Trump warned Iran that time was running out for a diplomatic solution. “For Iran, the clock is ticking, and they better get moving, fast, or there won’t be anything left of them. time is of the essence!” Trump wrote on Truth Social.According to Axios, Trump is expected to meet top national security advisers on Tuesday to discuss possible military options regarding Iran.
Iran warns of retaliation
Iranian military spokesperson Abolfazl Shekarchi warned that if US threats were carried out, Washington would “face new, aggressive, and surprise scenarios, and sink into a self-made quagmire” .Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei accused the US and Israel of destabilising global energy markets through what he described as “unprovoked military aggression against Iran” .Iranian officials also said Tehran was preparing a new mechanism to regulate traffic through the Strait of Hormuz amid continued tensions in the region.Also read: ‘Dangerous escalation’: India expresses concern after Iranian strikes target UAE nuclear facility
